Monday, December 3, 2012

Aesclepius

Hello Darlings,
This is your domesticated author of this blog doing what domesticated wives do and that is be a maid, a cook, a landscaper, a chauffeur, and a student!
These last two weeks have been tough for me and I need some motivation or some change to pick me back up and get me back into my routine.  With so much going on through the holidays, I am looking forward for this term to be over so I can "completely" relax.
My mother-in-law is in town and we sat down and did the exercise of Meeting Aesclepius together.  She is very skilled in all types of meditating exercises and is exquisitely in touch with her spirituality.  She is my guidance in helping me find creative and simple ways to become psychologically healthy.
We first started out sitting criss-cross-applesauce with our hands resting on our inner knees.  She told me to place my fingers on my inner knees.  She informed me that meditating with legs stretched out and fingers intertwined doesn't allow the energy to flow, which I found interesting.  Sometimes I just lay on the couch when I do exercises!  She also enlightened me with some very helpful information about closing your eyes.  Most all exercises tell you to close your eyes and begin mental imagery, but my mother-in-law said to leave them slightly opened to allow a little bit of light through and the reasoning for that is to make sure you do not fall asleep, which I have done almost every week!
The exercise was similar to most, asking us to do mental imagery of positivity, love, light, etc.  Then there was ocean noises.  I told my mother-in-law that I am not very fond of ocean noises and she said I should be.  Why should I like ocean noises?  Well think of the tide of an ocean coming onto the beach; the water pushes new sand out and then washes away the old sand so it compares to cleansing the body with the tide washing away the dirt.  Because I enjoy nature sounds and forest sounds, she said to picture the sunshine through the trees and that being your cleanser; the sun.  I can work with that.
The mind is a powerful thing and we can think of a lot of ways to clear our minds and wash away the dirt and no matter what it is, if in the end we feel happy and content then whatever we are picturing is working.

Take care everyone and only two more weeks, yahoo!

2 comments:

  1. Michelle,
    I completely understand your lack of motivation. I too am so ready for this term to be over. It is hard to even begin to get in the Christmas spirit with school looming over my head. I think that is so neat that you were able to do this exercise with your mother-in-law. It sounds like she is a very wise woman. I love her analogy of the ocean. I find it so relaxing and calming and would love to listen to it all day if I could. Thanks for sharing your experience. Have a great week! Tiffany Stein

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Michelle!
    Your mother-in-law had some great insights for you. I would have never thought to compare the ocean with the cleansing of the mind and spirit. I don't have a problem with the calming effects of just focusing on my breathing, but I struggle finding release when I have to spend time focusing on thoughts. I would rather wipe everything out of my mind than to think and remove. I find that process more tidious than just emptying my mind completely. I understand being too busy to practice these exercises, but may I suggest practicing these right before bed to release the days tension so that you get a peaceful deep sleep? This is the way I often get the practices in, unless of course I'm releasing through my piano. I wish you the best in your practices.

    ReplyDelete